Do you want to use your software engineering talents to solve computational problems of real scientific and medical importance? Do want to help develop a cutting-edge technology that reveals the mysteries of life itself? Pacific Biosciences is seeking a talented software engineer to build tools to analyze SMRT (Single Molecule, Real Time) sequencing data to address diverse sequencing applications areas. The candidate will develop robust, reliable and scalable algorithms in the areas of de novo assembly, alignment, graph-traversal, HMMs and much more.
• Self-starter that thrives within a challenging, fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team environment.
• Developing new algorithms to solve complex scientific data processing problems.
• Building production grade software solutions adhering to company standards and practices.
• Commitment to test-driven development.
• Communicating professionally with a diverse group of clients and staff.
• Defining timelines and estimates for complex tasks that may involve research.
• A MS/Ph.D. in Computer Science or Physical Sciences, preferably related to computational biology.
• Four or more years experience in bioinformatics, computational biology or comparable schoolwork.
• Proficiency in a scripting or functional language for data analysis (such as Python, R or Scala) and an object-oriented language (such as C#, Java, or C++) is required.
• Previous experience with next-generation sequence analysis, especially in the areas of de novo assembly, alignment algorithms and graph-based processing, is desired.
• Experience with Linux required.
• Good understanding of software best practices, agile methodologies and/or software architecture is required.
• Experience with professional development tools including editors, software control systems, and central bug reporting systems is required.
• Experience developing production grade software based on detailed specifications and utilizing unit test and functional test methodologies.
• Candidate should have demonstrated experience in working within a multi-disciplinary team in a fast-paced, technically challenging environment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.