The Quality & Safety Engineer understands the principles of product and service quality evaluation and control. Tasks include, but are not limited to, development and operation of quality control systems, application and analysis of testing and inspection procedures, the ability to use measurement and statistical methods to diagnose and correct improper quality control practices, an understanding of human factors and motivation, familiarity with quality cost concepts and techniques, and the knowledge and ability to develop and administer management information systems and to audit quality systems for deficiency identification and correction.
Essential functions and job duties:
- Periodically review SFRs (Shop Floor Reworks) for program and bit check abnormalities; perform RCCA
- Periodically perform inspections; primarily act as a liaison between production and engineering departments
- Ensure that products meet any federal, state or local government safety or quality standards
- Review test reports for abnormalities, initiate ECRs (Engineering Change Requests) as needed
- ISO 9001 Administrator: maintain documents, interaction with auditor
- Interaction with Intertek (ETL/UL) auditor – Quarterly
- Lead & participate in CSR RCCA cases; assign and follow-up with various CSR (Customer Service Request) owners
- Run monthly Safety committee meeting, review open Safety cases, assign and follow-up with various Safety owners, develop solutions with owners
- Keep reporting records current, schedule tests, work with Retro (e.g., L&I) provider on periodic audits
- Review and approve work standard changes
- Review standard work performance audits and work with leads to address deficiencies
- Communicates with Quality Manager and Production Manager on inspection results and quality improvements
- Attend staff and department meetings
- Actively participate on internal teams that improve workplace safety, reduce waste and improve factory efficiencies
- Complete all required training in a timely manner
- Associate Degree, or higher, in technical or engineering field
- 2-5 years Manufacturing experience
- Quality experience, a plus
Skills / Competencies required:
- Collaboration: Effectively builds and maintains partnerships with clients, and Watson personnel at all levels across the company. Contribute to team and company success. Maintain flexibility and react to change appropriately. Communicates and shares information with candor that builds trust and enhances relationships.
- Drive for Results: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Approachability: Is easy to approach and talk to; spends the extra effort to put others at ease; can be warm, pleasant, and gracious; is sensitive to and patient with the interpersonal anxieties of others; builds rapport well; is a good listener; is an early knower, getting informal and incomplete information in time to do something about it.
- Priority Setting: Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
- Timely Decision Making: Makes decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; able to make a quick decision.
“We are builders. We intend to live forever in this community. We create skilled jobs by designing and manufacturing distinctive products for discerning customers. We do this with care for humans and the earth that would make our parents and our children proud.” – Clif McKenzie, Watson CEO
Watson’s Guiding Principles:
- Built Here : All our products are manufactured at the Orchard, our 34-acre forested headquarters in the Pacific Northwest. This state-of-the-art facility converts regionally sourced raw materials to finished goods through advanced CNC machining processes and superior handcraft.
- Distinctive Product : Each of our product lines are engineered for unmatched simplicity, beauty and durability. Our design process revolves around users’ needs and sustainable manufacturing processes.
- Practical Environmentalism : We believe we should return this world in better condition than we found it. We adhere to the concept of Practical Environmentalism in which our aggressive pursuit to minimize impact on our planet is achieved within a disciplined structure of environmental and financial accountability.
- Passionate People : We believe in the dignity of the working woman and man. We foster this dignity by providing competitive compensation and benefits, sharing our profits and maintaining high expectations.
- Financial Stability : Maintaining a strong cash position and avoiding debt enables us to thrive in economic downturns and invest in cutting edge manufacturing techniques and responsible growth.