Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented individual with a strong background in synthetic organic chemistry to join our medicinal chemistry team in the Caltech chemistry department. Chemists at Caltech have developed a proprietary platform technology for creating small molecules to treat patients with unmet medical needs. The technology allows unprecedented structural tailoring of small molecules and will enable the development of molecules with better target receptor docking and other desirable properties. This project is in collaboration with a highly respected medical school’s translational oncology group, which will provide their proprietary knowledge of unknown oncologic dependencies and experimental expertise to collaboratively create best-in-class drugs. The collaboration is being run like a start-up within the Universities and there is potential for non-salary compensation incentives that are similar to what is typical in a pharma start-up. As the project progresses there may be further opportunity to join an external start-up that may form to take the lead candidate into clinical trials.
– The successful candidate will participate in the molecular design and synthesis of novel compounds, and interface with our biological and pharmacological collaborators in the testing and development of interesting compounds.
– Our collaborators have also developed a broad database of potentially intriguing biological targets. Previously experience with target selection and screening in an oncology setting is preferred.
– Specifically, this individual’s primary responsibility will be in the lab designing and synthesizing novel chemical compounds to optimize potency, selectivity, pharmacokinetics and in vivo efficacy.
– As a member of a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team, the successful candidate will collaborate closely with a broad group of scientists within Caltech, with external collaborators and outside service providers.
– Additionally, this individual would work with a small team at a foreign contract research organization to produce intermediate molecules that would be further modified at Caltech.
– The successful candidate will also contribute effectively to patent, report, and scientific publication writing.
– Ph.D. or Masters in Organic or Medicinal Chemistry.
– Proven track record of contributing to innovative project, including peer-reviewed publications.
– High level of creativity and productivity with strong synthetic chemistry problem solving and analytical skills.
– Excellent scientific expertise in organic synthesis, and conversant with the current literature.
– Ability to champion chemistry efforts into new directions to achieve project milestones.
– Excellent communication skills and ability to present rationale, key data, issues and accomplishments of chemistry efforts to other members of the team and external collaborators.
– Strong team orientation with highly collaborative approach to problem solving and openness to diverse points of view.
– Hands-on, resourceful, and results-oriented.
– Minimum five years of experience in Medicinal Chemistry.
– At least three year’s industry experience in Pharmaceutical Medicinal Chemistry is preferred.
– A minimum of five publications and patents demonstrating proficiency in drug discovery.
– Have successful experience in the application of structure based drug design leading to advanced leads/development candidates.
– Proven experience in gram scale candidate delivery over 15+ synthetic steps.
– Strong working knowledge of protein-ligand interactions, conformational and structural analysis, and experience in partnering closely with computational structural biologists.
– Experience initiating, working with external contract research organizations. Experience with working with CROs outside the US is preferred.
– Strong knowledge of medicinal chemistry principles, with a solid understanding of key ADME, biochemical and pharmacological principles, and able to effectively integrate and apply these to the optimization of multiple parameters during lead generation and lead optimization efforts.Given the complex business nature of target selection with regard to selecting patient populations, proven experience in business and/or an MBA from a highly ranked business school is preferred.
– Specific proficiency in target selection, particularly in oncology is strongly preferred. The ideal candidate would have demonstrated proficiency either on the job or through consulting.
– Cover letter
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
To read more more Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) go to https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf.