Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Climate change projections continue to be marred by large uncertainties but breakthroughs in their accuracy are within reach, thanks to recent advances in the computational and data sciences and in the availability of Earth observations from space and from the ground. The California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and partner institutions are developing a new Earth system modeling platform to harness these advances. It will fuse an Earth system model (ESM) with global observations and targeted local high-resolution simulations of clouds, turbulence, and other elements of the Earth system.
The Lead Software Engineer will collaborate with a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and applied mathematicians, spanning Caltech, the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the Naval Postgraduate School. This is a temporary position with the possibility of extension.
More information about the modeling initiative is available at climate-dynamics.org or contact Professors Tapio Schneider and Andrew Stuart at: email@example.com.
As a Lead Software Engineer, you will
– Work on a fast-paced, high-profile project with a significant opportunity for impacting Earth system modeling worldwide.
– Provide guidance and oversight in the design, development, testing, deployment, maintenance, and improvement of the ESM platform software.
– Provide technical expertise as a hands-on coder applying the best industry standards for code health, scalability, and robustness.
– Conceptualize and devise innovative ideas and technical designs for an ESM platform that is scalable and adaptable to a variety of hardware architectures, including distributed computing architectures.
– Provide technical leadership and solve end-to-end the most difficult design and implementation problems.
– Provide leadership, expertise, and guidance to more junior Software Engineers.
– MS degree in computer science or a science and engineering field with 5+ years of related work and leadership experience.
– Expertise in developing large software projects in a distributed fashion, e.g., contributing to an open source project with distributed contributors.
– Expertise working with high-performance computing systems including many core processors and accelerators.
– Expertise with at least two general purpose programming languages (e.g., C/C++, C#, Objective C, Python, Fortran).
– A Ph.D. degree in computer science or a science or engineering field.
– Expertise in either computational fluid dynamics or machine learning or both.
– Ability to lead collaborative efforts with multi-disciplinary teams and to interact cross-functionally with a wide variety of people.
– One-page statement of interests
– Three references
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
To read more more Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) go to eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf