Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Ismagilov Lab at Caltech is hiring a full-time lab technician for a one-year term position with possibility for extension, subject to funding. Reporting to Professor Rustem Ismagilov, the successful candidate will help researchers developing rapid diagnostics for antibiotic susceptibility by performing experiments and validating the experiments of group graduate students and postdocs. The project is funded by the CARB-X program. More details about the lab and these projects can be found at http://ismagilovlab.che.caltech.edu/research/.
– Assist graduate students and postdocs in validating their research findings by reproducing their experiments with additional samples.
– Perform antibiotic susceptibility experiments with pathogenic bacteria.
– Work with clinical samples (including samples containing Neisseria gonorrhoeae) under biosafety level 2 (BSL-2) practices established in the laboratory.
– Perform qPCR, ddPCR, q-RT-PCR, dd-RT-PCR, LAMP, and RNA extractions.
– Maintain the organization of lab workspaces.
– Coordinate with vendors to order lab supplies; coordinate with repair technicians to maintain lab equipment.
– Maintain a neat, detailed electronic lab notebook.
– Attend weekly lab meetings and report progress to research team.
– A highly motivated and qualified candidate may develop independent aspects of ongoing projects, while continuing to provide research support
– Bachelor’s degree in science with educational emphasis in chemistry, biology or a related field required by date of hire.
– Lab experience in molecular biology and/or biochemistry.
– Highly detail-oriented; must have prior experience performing sensitive experiments and using complex techniques.
– Must be able to use sound judgment to handle a variety of tasks and to shift priorities simultaneously, as well as effectively solve problems.
– Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
– Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff.
– Strong organizational, time-management, and project-management skills.
– Ambition to enter a top medical or graduate school.
– Prior experience performing PCR.
– Co-authorship on a scientific publication.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
To read more more Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) go to eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf