Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Hoelz Lab is searching for a highly motivated individual who will work as part of a team to carry out structural and functional studies on protein assemblies. The work includes all aspects of protein crystallography and in the development of bacterial or baculoviral protein expression systems (PCR, cloning, recombinant DNA techniques), expression of proteins (tissue culture techniques), the purification of expressed proteins (FPLC, SDS-PAGE, western blot), and protein crystallization. In addition, the individual will help with general lab maintenance and organization (ordering, culture plates, competent cells). This is a 2 year term position.
– Help with maintaining laboratory organization.
– Generation of various common laboratory reagents.
– Generation and testing of expression constructs.
– Large-scale purification of single proteins and protein complexes.
– Identification of crystallization conditions using sparse matrix screens.
– Biochemical and biophysical characterization of protein-protein and protein-RNA interactions.
– Functional analysis in yeast and mammalian cells.
– A highly motivated and qualified candidate may develop independent projects.
– Other duties as assigned.
– Bachelor's degree in science required by the date of hire.
– Must have good practical experience in all basic molecular biology techniques.
– Ability to learn new skills related to all aspects of protein crystallography.
– Perform work in a neat and orderly manner.
– The ability to work as part of a team.
– Excellent organization and communication skills.
– Bachelor's degree in science with an educational emphasis in chemistry or biology.
– Previous experience in a biochemistry or structural biology laboratory.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
To read more more Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) go to eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf