DAI is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries. Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
EC Bid Manager/Senior Consultant
DAI is looking for a candidate with experience of working with the European Commission or other European donors to work in our office in Brussels, to help to generate a portfolio of new service and framework contracts and ensure the company is recognised as a reputable firm in the EC market.
Main purpose of role: To support the Business Development Director(s) in driving a pipeline of new business. To maximise the profit and turnover targets for relevant sectors. To build effective partnerships with the relevant client market and partner companies.
Key tasks, duties and responsibilities:
- lead and develop new business opportunities in relevant sectors and client markets, with a specific focus on ensuring key building blocks (team, partners, reconnaissance trips) are in place for key pipeline projects.
- research new market opportunities and obtain market intelligence
- ensure provision of good quality monitoring, coordination and preparation of Expressions of Interest
- ensure planning, budgeting and reporting targets are met
- manage the preparation of both technical and financial proposals
- write significant sections of technical and financial proposals
- undertake short-term technical assignments and provide consulting services in the field, when needed
- undertake marketing visits and consortium meetings, when needed
- maintain the relevant databases for job prospects, proposals, funding agencies and in-country agents
- ensure regional capability statements and other marketing documents, company experience and information sheets are kept up to date
- ensure a network of client contacts and partner firms is maintained and enhanced
- travel for the scoping and reconnaissance of current and expected bidding opportunities, where relevant
- lead on the staffing process for specific bids, including as necessary working with the Recruiter team to identify and recruit qualified professionals for proposals and projects
- ensure effective communication is maintained with nominated staff
- tailor and format CVs for inclusion in proposals
- ensure projects meet contractual obligations and client requirements
- facilitate information sharing within the unit, with other DAI offices and with external partners
- coordinate business process improvement initiatives, as appropriate
- organise round table discussions with clients and external speakers, as needed
- attend seminars and conferences and source relevant publications, where appropriate
- act as a mentor to more junior staff, as appropriate
- lead or support on the handover of winning bids to the PMU.
Qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience:
- Postgraduate degree in a relevant field
- Demonstrable understanding of and interest in international development and working in an international/multi-cultural environment
- Experience of working overseas, ideally in a development environment
- Experience of working with DFID/EU and other major European donors
- Proven experience supporting consulting services or international development projects
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Demonstrable ability to write technical text
- Strong organisational skills
- Proactive, assertive and action-oriented with strong intellectual agility and ability
- Excellent interpersonal skills – able to establish and maintain positive working relationships both internally and externally
- Experience of managing teams to deliver goals and achieve targets
- Able to be flexible, versatile and tolerant in a changing work environment whilst maintaining effectiveness
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- Numerate with a high level of attention to detail
- Advanced level of MS Office
- Ability to travel internationally if required
- Experience of quality management systems;
- Ability to communicate effectively in at least one other language
Status: eligible to work in Belgium
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
The deadline for applications is Monday 28th May 2018. Interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place progressively.