DAI is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries. Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
Job Title/Grade: Principal/Senior Principal Specialist I/II (9-11)
Department: Sustainable Business Group (SBG)
Reports to: Manager, SBG
Date: April 11, 2018
Function of the Position:
This is a full-time, professional position that will contribute to the DAI Sustainable Business Group (DAI/SBG). DAI/SBG is a specialized unit that leads DAI’s engagements with global clients in the oil, gas, mining, power, and renewable energy sectors.
DAI/SBG is seeking a well-organized, highly motivated individual to work as a core member of its home office team and as a Team Leader on future client-funded projects in the field. Qualified candidates will have practical technical expertise in private sector consulting, extractive industries, enterprise development, and local content. Proven experience providing consulting services, leading complex technical assignments, and writing winning proposals is required. Strong foreign language skills preferred. This individual will interface directly with DAI private sector clients (Including several Fortune 500 companies), and lead internal DAI teams for successful business development and contract management.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The percentages below are illustrative and may evolve and/or change depending on the company’s needs.
Specific responsibilities will include:
1. Project Management and Technical Delivery (60%)
- Undertake long-term project leadership assignments on projects falling within area of specialty
- Complete short-term technical assignments, typically ranging from one to six weeks, providing consulting services in the field as well as high quality technical reports, assessments, and recommendations as requested
- Manage project teams, project budgets, client relationships and technical delivery
- Maintain supportive and ongoing communications with senior personnel
- Manage teams of home office and field-based project staff to ensure a high standard of technical and financial excellence in delivery of results according to client expectations
- Maintain regular and supportive communications with clients
- Manage in-country stakeholder engagement interfacing with senior government officials, civil society representatives and community leaders
- Help set and monitor performance goals and objectives for field and US based staff working on project management teams
- Deliver regular technical and financial reports on project performance to SBG staff
- Assist teams in preparing work plans and reports in compliance with contracts
- Serve as a “knowledge management” champion, drawing best practices from projects and channeling relevant best practices to projects as needed
2. New Business Development (30%)
- Serve as technical lead in writing winning proposals
- Manage proposal development teams
- Track and follow up on business intelligence leading up to bid opportunities
- Organize and lead reconnaissance efforts in target countries
- Help strategize winning approaches to bid opportunities
3. Corporate Initiatives (10%)
- Lead trainings and brown-bags
- Present results of technical work at conferences or other public events
- Mentor junior staff
- Participate in cross-sector process improvement and strategic planning teams
Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Grade 9: Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 5 years of relevant experience and a master’s degree
- Grade 10: Minimum of 9 years of relevant professional experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 7 years of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree
- Grade 11: Minimum of 11 years of relevant professional experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 9 years of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree
- Demonstrated experience leading, designing, and evaluating projects
- Minimum of three years of experience in private sector consulting, extractive industries, enterprise development, and/or local content
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrated experience writing strong technical proposals
- Can work effectively across technical areas, to develop approaches that integrate or leverage resources
- Strong knowledge and/or interest in the oil & gas sector with an emphasis on the procurement, supply-chain management and political-economy/regulatory aspects of the upstream segment
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task in a rapidly changing environment
- Action oriented with strong intellectual agility and ability
- Ability to travel an estimated 33% of the time
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Equivalent combination of education and/or experience will be considered.
- Preference for experience either consulting for private sector in the social investment and performance space or working directly for private sector.
- Experience with product development, strategy
- Experience managing budgets
- Experience building a team and managing talent development
- Experience with ICT/tech for development, entrepreneurism in social investment, etc.
Supervisory Requirements: None.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. EOE - Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans