Job Title/Grade: Principal Global Practice Manager, Senior Principal Global Practice Manager (12-13) for Trade, Investment and
Department: Technical Services
Reports to: Sector Vice President for Economic Growth (VP for EG)
Date: February 27, 2019
Function of the Position:
DAI seeks a senior economic growth professional with hands-on experience in the area of trade, investment and competitiveness work who can help lead, provide vision and enhance DAI’s leadership in these technical areas and develop a significant portfolio of projects funded by USAID and other donors. The Global Practice Manager will work in Technical Services/Economic Growth Sector and:
- Work with other Global Practice Specialists in the Technical Services/Economic Growth team to establish and achieve new business targets based on market knowledge and intelligence;
- Help establish DAI’s reputation as a thought leader in the international community engaged in trade, investment and competitiveness work;
- Identify and help position DAI to become a leading provider of technical assistance in global trade, trade promotion, firm level support to export focused enterprises and trade facilitation and develop and test innovative approaches as reflected in winning proposals that will put DAI at the forefront of trade, investment and competitiveness providers;
- Create worldwide partnerships for the delivery of trade, investment and competitiveness services; and
- Deliver excellent technical support and innovation to USAID and other donor-funded projects being carried out by DAI teams worldwide.
The primary responsibility of the Manager will be to support the Trade, Investment and Competitiveness Practice, including leading and supporting new business efforts, developing technical solutions, knowledge management, and product development, with a primary objective of demonstrating DAI’s thought and technical leadership and increasing sales and marketing.
The Manager will be responsible for building the capability of her/his direct reports by provided structured, focused, and on-going training, development, and coaching for performance.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Time will be allocated across business development, technical and knowledge management priorities according to corporate need and personal capabilities; however, the Manager will commit to spending a minimum of 20% of his/her time on leading, coaching, providing regular and directed performance feedback, and actively supporting the professional development of a number of direct reports within the sector.
Staff Management (20%):
- Creates a detailed onboarding plan for new employees to increase their productivity and sense of belonging to the team.
- Conducts regular one-on-one conversations (preferably monthly, but at a minimum quarterly) with direct reports to provide actionable feedback (both your own and what you solicit from matrixed teams or projects) on current work and behaviors.
- Identifies opportunities for direct reports such as proposals, short-term technical assignments, corporate initiatives. Follows up with direct reports and reviews feedback instruments upon completion of these activities to provide feedback and spark learning and insights.
- Identifies professional development and stretch opportunities to support direct reports’ career aspirations.
- Supports direct reports’ management of their time allocation, particularly when there are potential utilization conflicts across practices, sectors, and/or Business Units.
- Coaches (in-the-moment and formally) for performance improvement to redirect behaviors and for success on new assignments.
- Recommends incentive-based compensation decisions related to promotions, salary increases, spot bonuses, etcetera.
- Proactively manages performance of direct reports not meeting expectations and partners with Human Resources to appropriately address performance issues as necessary
Business Development and Growth (40%)
Responsibility for overseeing new business activities within one’s practice, including:
- Consults regularly with Sector VP and other EG Practice Managers to ensure collaboration and alignment of new business resources.
- Manages practice staff to lead and contribute to high quality proposals; provides oversight of champions working on bids in practice/sector.
- Provides quality control/quality assurance by participating in pink/red teams as necessary including reviewing bid specific plans.
- Ensures that timely feedback on the quality of proposal support is provided to individuals and their supervisors.
- Provides practice updates on new business and ensures opportunities are moving forward in conjunction with SVP for EG and Opportunity Manager
- Serves as champion and/or lead writer on bids.
- Participates in incubators to ensure high quality and innovation.
- Contributes to teaming and personnel decisions made by bid champions to ensure soundness.
- Serves as sounding board for writers and champions.
- Participates in the technical leadership and services provided by the Trade Practice to projects, new business endeavors and other internally and externally facing initiatives.
- Engages with COPs and project teams to identify, adapt, and refine technologies, tools, solutions and approaches that advance the project’s goals. These solutions may be both technical or operational.
- Supports projects as requested by USG Delivery to ensure a high standard of technical excellence in delivery of results according to client expectations. Actively participates across practices and regions to integrate with other core DAI competencies.
- Participates in cross-sector, cross-practice and cross-business unit initiatives that foster and build DAI’s technical leadership or advance process improvements across teams.
- Undertakes short-term technical assignments for projects including training, high quality technical reports, assessments, recommendations and other deliverables as requested.
Knowledge Management and Coordination (20%)
- In concert with the VP for EG, the Practice Manager will be responsible for enhancing DAI’s brand to our main clients, DFID, EU and USAID. The Manager will oversee the development of content for internal and external publications and communications including blogs, articles, reports, videos, presentations and other multi-media forms, and internal business development resources from DAI’s work in the technical area to enhance proposal quality.
- Supports the development and dissemination of DAI’s thought leadership with the aim of building and advancing DAI’s technical reputation and competitive position through participation in conferences, events and seminars, and social media and developing a network of partnerships with U.S. and foreign trade associations, experts, U.S. and U.K. government trade officials, and a network of consultants, trade experts, policy advisors and subcontractors.
- Works closely with Delivery, Strategy and Marketing, and other business units to capture technical achievements, lessons learned, and best practices to build on and advance DAI’s reputation as a thought leader in this technical area.
- Responsible for leading activities, efforts, and research relevant for the sector/practice.
- Develops integrated technical solutions that leverage technical skills and capabilities within and across sectors and in other DAI business units.
Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Grade 13: 17 years of relevant work experience and a bachelor’s degree, or 15 years of relevant work experience and a Master’s degree.
- Grade 12: 13 years of relevant work experience and a bachelor’s degree, or 11 years of relevant work experience and a master’s degree
- At least 5 years of experience working in/with developing countries and preferably leading and managing programs that deliver technical expertise/support in trade, investment and competitiveness, including leading firm level/enterprise support, trade promotion, trade policy, and trade facilitation efforts. Special emphasis will be placed on enterprise development assistance and on leveraging private sector investment for trade.
- Demonstrated experience conceptualizing and implementing strategic initiatives related to trade, investment and competitiveness.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and lead teams for winning new business and delivering excellent results to clients.
- Ability to take on both leadership and support roles in the development of plans, proposals and in carrying out work.
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrated experience writing strong technical proposals for USAID or other clients.
- Ability to travel an estimated 25% of the time for proposal reconnaissance and provision of technical support to projects.
Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. EOE- Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans