SCOPE OF WORK
POSITION Operations Assistant/Operations Specialist
PERIOD OF PERFORMANCE ON/ABOUT (FROM – TO) June 1, 2019
End of Project
MAXIMUM LEVEL OF EFFORT Full Time
BASE OF OPERATIONS Washington, DC
Join a dynamic team at the vanguard of USAID Administrator Mark Green’s policy for enterprise-led development, the INVEST Project, in pushing the envelope on both technical and operational innovation. Through intensive training and on-the-job learning and implementation, gain a complete understanding of the USAID project management lifecycle and operational methodology: the real engine that drives development programming around the world. Enjoy a coworking space with great amenities - cold brew coffee, fruit-infused water, a rooftop terrace – and work with dedicated and affable colleagues. This is a great early-career position for those wanting to gain hands-on experience in international development operations with room for advancement.
The INVEST Project is a flexible, rapid mechanism that allows USAID missions and operating units to quickly and efficiently access the specialized expertise required across industries and geographies to identify, develop, execute and leverage local and international capital to address development challenges. This strategic engagement with private capital fosters a shift towards enterprise-led development that enhances the efficiency and sustainability of USAID programs. INVEST engages in multiple activities that roll up into portfolio-level management with multiple stakeholders, and manages a total portfolio value near $100 million.
The Operations Assistant/Specialist is a long-term position which will provide operational and administrative support to INVEST in the following areas: office management, administrative support to the project team and individual buy-in funded activities, compliance, and travel/security logistics.
OBJECTIVES AND DUTIES
• Provide administrative and logistical support for operational project needs: management of office-related tasks, scheduling/invites, technology resources, reserving rooms, and maintain project calendars (INVEST travel, reporting, evaluation panels, etc.);
• Provide administrative support for technical activities by reviewing expense reports from individuals and invoices from consultants and subcontractors; supporting any operational procurements; coordinating meeting logistics (scheduling, notetaking); and coordinating travel and security logistics;
• Coordinate travel logistics, country clearance, and other necessary security compliance measures for core staff and buy-in staff/consultants;
• Support the maintenance of administrative records by saving and categorizing in a rational, straightforward hierarchy all documentation on shared file servers and project management systems in accordance with the project’s document saving protocol and norms;
• Assist with review of expense reports from project staff and invoices from independent consultants to ensure compliance with DAI finance and accounting procedures and project policies;
• Develop and maintain discrete project trackers (procurement, expenses, etc.) to ensure compliance and accurate record-keeping;
• Ensure that project inventory records remain up to date and that all inventory is tracked according to DAI policy;
• Support DAI Home Office in procurement efforts for the project including: subscriptions, IT equipment, goods, and services utilizing DAI procurement systems and compliant with USAID and DAI regulations and systems;
• Provide event and meeting organization support as needed;
• Support and participate in key meetings with notetaking duties as needed;
• Assist with on-boarding process for new project staff;
• Other administrative or support duties as assigned.
Operations Specialist (will have additional duties in the following areas):
• Independently trouble-shoots common problems and escalates more complex issues to the Activity Manager and follows up until resolved. Coordinates the administrative activities of the buy-in including mobilizing consultants, maintaining project files, requesting purchases for goods and services, ensuring submission of project deliverables;
• Support procurement efforts for the buy-in activity in both technical and operational areas, utilizing DAI procurement systems and compliant with USAID and DAI regulations and systems as well as USAID security vetting protocol;
• Support subcontractors’ deliverable management (tracking, filing, and submitting for payment);
• Draft and file USAID client approval requests and responses;
• Support compliance with contract terms and conditions by ensuring administrative aspects of the contracts, subcontracts, and buy-ins comply with applicable regulations and corporate policy;
• Provide support in areas of data management and reporting.
• Support lifecycle recruitment for open positions – create scopes of work, post positions, review CVs, set up interviews, draft client approval requests, work with Home Office counterparts to finalize agreements.
• Support consultants and short-term employees on DAI systems, timekeeping policies, reviewing time cards and expense reports, troubleshooting other HR issues.
• Provide event and meeting organization support as needed;
• Support and participate in key meetings with rapporteur duties as needed.
• Operations Assistant: Minimum of 1-2 years of relevant administrative, technical, or professional experience and a Bachelor’s degree in business, international relations, or related field;
• Operations Specialist: Minimum of 2-3 years of professional experience and a Bachelor’s degree; or minimum of 1-2 years of professional experience and a Master’s degree;
• A self-directed individual with sound administrative skills, analytical ability, and strong operational focus
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and shift priorities quickly without compromising quality of work
• Ability to work in a cross-functional team
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience providing support to teams and/or executives
• Data/systems/file management
Desirable but not required
• MBA degree;
• Experience in human resources and/or recruitment;
• Experience in finance, banking, or the investment industry;
• Experience supporting domestic and international travel.
• Event planning experience;
• Data/systems management.