General Summary of Job Duties
Manage and facilitate the accurate preparation and filing of our company’s, and stakeholders’, state and federal tax forms and ensure compliance with state, federal and international tax law through a series of systems and system controls that are designed to ensure accurate, timely reporting.
Essential Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Maintain a high quality of guest service according to Jacobs Entertainment, Inc. Mission Statement and F.A.S.T. Track Values Statement.
- Facilitate and manage the preparation and review of the company’s, and stakeholders’, federal tax returns and the accurate, timely filing of all tax forms.
- Ensure accurate, timely filing of consolidated federal, state and local income tax returns and other business and stakeholders’ related filings.
- Prepare and/or review tax returns and quarterly/yearly tax projections.
- Develop and implement strategic tax planning, including quarterly tax estimates, for all necessary federal and state taxes.
- Find and implement opportunities for process improvement in company tax procedures.
- Manage members of the tax team as they prepare components of the company's US federal income tax return and other tax documents.
- Plan for and develop overall return calendar and coordinate timing and inputs with third party service providers.
- Maintain effective control procedures over all aspects of the tax process.
- Manage and facilitate IRS income tax audits: preparing responses, creating schedules, etc.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory tax law developments, communicate the effects of these developments to management and the tax team and create strategies to capitalize on changes to taxation legislation.
- Provide support with various internal audits and special tax related projects.
- Manage and mentor members of tax team to greater levels of effectiveness and engagement.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable Company and departmental policies and procedures as well as the willingness to learn and follow any policy or procedure that may be introduced in the future.
- Adhere to all appearance and uniform standards.
- Maintain an open line of communication with Management.
- Maintain a positive and professional demeanor during all interactions with guest, fellow Employees, and Vendors.
- Ability to accept performance feedback in a professional manner.
- Regular attendance and arriving on time to all scheduled shifts and mandatory meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
General Job Responsibilities and Duties
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following F.A.S.T. Track Principles:
- Offer a warm greeting to everyone you encounter with a smile and eye contact.
- Practice mutual respect by dealing honestly in all interactions.
- Use genuine listening skills and offer sincere responses.
- Promote positive interactions with both external and internal guests through sincere greeting and communications.
- Be approachable, listen and lead by example.
- Be proactive and positive.
- If I don’t know, I’ll find out and if we don’t have it, I’ll try to get it.
- Support and practice the F.A.S.T. Track Principles from the executive level to the front line staff level.
- Acquire knowledge, training and education. Communicate it to all employees.
- Anticipate our guests’ needs before they ask.
- Contribute ideas and solutions to improve customer service.
- Escort our guests rather than point.
- Take personal pride in the quality of your work.
- Actively seek feedback from our guests concerning our service and atmosphere.
- Share and explain information.
- Great teams consist of great performers.
- Create a culture of two-way communication with employees and guests.
- Be courteous, kind and patient with each other.
Skills, Education and Other Requirements
- 7+ years of experience in a tax manager or public accountant role and at least 2 years of experience in a management role.
- Master’s degree in an accounting discipline, preferred.
- Current CPA, required.
- Masters of Taxation or JD degree, required.
- Strong skills and experience with Word, Outlook, Excel, QuickBooks.
- Strong skills and experience with tax return preparation software packages.
- Experience with multi-state, multi-entity organizations.
- Extensive individual/corporate/partnership tax knowledge, with deep understanding of flow-through tax entities.
- Working knowledge of charitable entities and contribution regulations.
- Strong accounting, analytical, and research skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of tax code, compliance and procedures for corporations and individuals.
- Familiarity with U.S. federal, state and local reporting requirements.
- Strong experience with a variety of tax operations and ability to drive process improvements.
- Strong ability to utilize project management and accounting best practices to organize and prioritize tasks and the tasks of other tax team members.
- Ability to work well independently as well as the ability to work well with third party service providers and stakeholders, as well as the ability to communicate the benefits of tax initiatives.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.