General Summary of Job Duties
The Sous Chef’s primary job responsibilities include, but not limited to assisting with maintaining acceptable food costs, labor costs and operating supplies, and vendor relations. This position will administer the training, supervising and developing all kitchen personnel in order to requisition, receive, prepare, cook and present food product according to restaurant standard recipes. This will be done in a safe, clean and controlled environment.
Essential Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Maintain a high quality of guest service according to Jacobs Entertainment, Inc. Mission Statement and F.A.S.T. Track Values Statement.
- Oversees culinary operations and functions.
- Assists with monitoring kitchen and restaurant expenses and inventories.
- Work with Executive Sous Chef to develop restaurant-related food promotions and special events.
- Oversee proper food preparation quantity and quality.
- Maintain and enforce all sanitation and health department requirements.
- Assist Executive Sous Chef with kitchen personnel training.
- Ensure and expedite proper product storage, quality, presentation and consistency.
- Assist Executive Sous Chef with holding accountable all Line Cooks, Prep Cooks and support personnel through effective and consistent communication.
- Ensure accuracy and quality of all products being received by the culinary department.
- Assist Executive Sous Chef with interfacing with the receiving/ purchasing department to ensure that the culinary department is properly reconciled.
- Ensure department compliance regarding all sanitation rules and requirements.
- Maintain current and accurate Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Ensure the culinary operations are in satisfactory conditions to meet local health requirements.
- Supervise and guide all kitchen personnel development and discipline.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable Company and departmental policies and procedures as well as the willingness to learn and follow any policy or procedure that may be introduced in the future.
- Adhere to all appearance and uniform standards.
- Maintain an open line of communication with Management.
- Maintain a positive and professional demeanor during all interactions with guest, fellow Employees, and Vendors.
- Ability to accept performance feedback in a professional manner.
- Regular attendance and arriving on time to all scheduled shifts and mandatory meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
General Job Responsibilities and Duties
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following F.A.S.T. Track Principles:
- Offer a warm greeting to everyone you encounter with a smile and eye contact.
- Practice mutual respect by dealing honestly in all interactions.
- Use genuine listening skills and offer sincere responses.
- Promote positive interactions with both external and internal guests through sincere greeting and communications.
- Be approachable, listen and lead by example.
- Be proactive and positive.
- If I don’t know, I’ll find out and if we don’t have it, I’ll try to get it.
- Support and practice the F.A.S.T. Track Principles from the executive level to the front line staff level.
- Acquire knowledge, training and education. Communicate it to all employees.
- Anticipate our guests’ needs before they ask.
- Contribute ideas and solutions to improve customer service.
- Escort our guests rather than point.
- Take personal pride in the quality of your work.
- Actively seek feedback from our guests concerning our service and atmosphere.
- Share and explain information.
- Great teams consist of great performers.
- Create a culture of two-way communication with employees and guests.
- Be courteous, kind and patient with each other.
Skills, Education and Other Requirements
- Must have basic computer skills, basic math skills and be able to read, write and have command of the English language.
- Must be flexible with scheduling.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- A degree in Culinary Arts and Food Service Manager’s Certification preferred.
- Must possess a minimum of two years of experience as a Sous Chef and/or a minimum of three years in the culinary field in kitchen management.