General Summary of Job Duties
The White Buffalo Room Chef oversees staff and food production in the White Buffalo restaurant and occasionally in other areas of the Lodge Casino Food Department. In an effort to provide the best possible experience for our guests, the White Buffalo Room Chef will ensure all White Buffalo restaurant menu items are produced up to specifications following established recipes and procedures. The White Buffalo Room Chef will assist with menu development and the management of a diverse culinary team to meet Lodge Casino Food Department standards and expectations. This chef will behave in a professional and respectful manner consistently, especially towards guests and fellow employees.
Essential Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Oversees and actively partakes in the daily production of various food items in the White Buffalo restaurant and throughout the Lodge Casino Food Department as requested, to ensure standards are achieved. Practices and promotes procedures to increase product yield.
- Upholds food quality and presentation expectations in the White Buffalo restaurant and throughout the Lodge Casino Food Department by observing and correcting deficiencies when noticed. Alerts the appropriate Manager/Supervisor as needed.
- Assists with menu and recipe development in the White Buffalo restaurant and throughout the operation when asked to do so.
- Upholds established recipe specifications and processes. Trains and retrains staff on standardized recipes and processes to ensure a consistent, high quality product.
- Manages and directly supervises the White Buffalo kitchen staff. Assists with the supervision of dishwashers, food runners, cooks and sous chefs. Assists with supervision in other areas of the operation as requested. Coaches and develops assigned staff in a professional manner.
- Assists with writing performance reviews, counseling and recruiting for assigned staff as requested. Completes paperwork, reports and administers reviews in a timely manner.
- Prepares, posts and adjusts schedules for the White Buffalo kitchen with coverage to accommodate varying levels of business volume. Assists with coverage and scheduling throughout the Lodge Casino Food Department as requested. Ensures breaks of assigned staff are taken appropriately.
- Upholds all health department policies and procedures. Ensures proper food storage, rotation and temperature procedures are followed. Maintains the cleanliness and organization of assigned kitchen. Corrects deficiencies in all Lodge Casino Food Department areas when observed.
- Requisitions food items from the warehouse accurate and timely manner according to established guidelines. Ensures items are wholesome, fresh and stored appropriately in the White Buffalo kitchen areas. Monitors the storage in other Food Department areas when making rounds.
- Maintains open and respectful communication with Executive Chef and other Corporate/Executive/Management personnel. Promptly reports all kitchen accidents/incidents/issues to the Executive Chef and/or appropriate department heads as required.
- Participates in monthly P&L meetings with others on the F&B team. Possesses or gathers information to explain variances to budget and prior year. Assists with investigating concerns and addressing issues as needed.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of applicable Company and departmental policies and procedures as well as the willingness to learn and follow any policy or procedure that may be introduced in the future.
- Enforces and adheres to applicable Company policies and procedures. Communicates these expectations fairly and respectfully to the kitchen staff. Administers discipline to kitchen staff as needed.
- Praises good work performance and workplace behavior when appropriate.
- Provides exceptional guest service to both internal and external guests by following F.A.S.T. Track principles.
- Regular and predicable attendance for all scheduled shifts is considered an essential function of the job.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
General Job Responsibilities and Duties
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following F.A.S.T. Track Principles:
- Offer a warm greeting to everyone you encounter with a smile and eye contact.
- Practice mutual respect by dealing honestly in all interactions.
- Use genuine listening skills and offer sincere responses.
- Promote positive interactions with both external and internal guests through sincere greeting and communications.
- Be approachable, listen and lead by example.
- Be proactive and positive.
- If I don’t know, I’ll find out and if we don’t have it, I’ll try to get it.
- Support and practice the F.A.S.T. Track Principles from the executive level to the front-line staff level.
- Acquire knowledge, training and education. Communicate it to all employees.
- Anticipate our guests’ needs before they ask.
- Contribute ideas and solutions to improve customer service.
- Escort out guests rather than point.
- Take personal pride in the quality of your work.
- Actively seek feedback from our guests concerning our service and atmosphere.
- Share and explain information.
- Great teams consist of great performers.
- Create a culture of two-way communication with employees and guests.
- Be courteous, kind and patient with each other.
Skills, Education and Other Requirements
- Solid communication and conflict management skills.
- Positive attitude that contributes to a pleasant working environment.
- Ability to remain calm and professional when under pressure.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to function as part of a team.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Basic reading, writing, and math skills. Basic computer skills.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Culinary Degree or Equivalent Work Experience.
- Current ServSafe Certification or successful completion of a ServSafe class.
- At least 3 years of supervisory experience in a high-volume food establishment.