To oversee and monitor the health of shelter animals and provide veterinary expertise in accordance with the organizational policies and procedures. Perform spay/neuter surgeries. Assist the Director in establishing and maintaining all health related protocols to maximize animal placement and minimize euthanasia of adoptable animals. Set a professional and positive example for clinic staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Performs high volume spay neuter surgeries; other surgeries as needed.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field of veterinary medicine, particularly the most innovative concepts of shelter medicine; consults as needed with other veterinarians in similar practice to network for the best solutions.
- Performs evaluations to determine the health of individual animals and/or the overall health of the animals at the shelter.
- Makes recommendations on disease control, sanitation, clinic procedures, and veterinary equipment and supplies.
- Provides case consultations.
- Ensures positive public relations and customer service practices.
- May assist with media or public relations as needed, serving as Lollypop’s medical expert.
- Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the company’s policies and applicable state and federal laws.
- Observes all safety rules and regulations for self and others.
- Maintains relationship with veterinary college and oversees existing programs and teaches externs etc.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Must have a degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from an accredited university school of veterinary medicine and be licensed to practice in New York State.
- DEA and state license required to purchase controlled drugs.
- Two years working in private practice or animal shelter environment required. Shelter experience strongly preferred.
- Excellent communication, organizational and problem-solving skills required.
- Must be able to make sound decisions regarding animal health.
- Possess the ability to work with people in a variety of high stress situations.
- Some evening and weekend work required.
- Computer skills a plus.
Significant amount of standing and walking during a typical day; exposure to fumes, animal smells or airborne particles. The noise level is moderate to high. Must be able to lift 50lbs.
Must exhibit Lollypop Farm’s core values:
- Compassion – showing empathy and sympathy for what others – both people and animals – are experiencing;
- Communication – able to convey accurate and timely information both internally and externally;
- Flexibility – willing and able to adapt to new circumstances and conditions;
- Commitment – a pledge to the mission, fellow employees, volunteers, animals and the community;
- Teamwork – willingness to collaborate and communicate to achieve a common goal;
- Integrity – pursuing our mission with honor, fairness and respect for animals, individuals and the organization;
- Respect – showing consideration and professional regard for all aspects of the organization .