Founded by Elwood Richard in 1968, NOW Foods has grown from a small, family operation to a highly-respected manufacturer of natural health products. Today, NOW Foods manufactures and distributes over 1,400 dietary supplements, natural foods, sports nutrition, and personal care products. NOW’s state of the art manufacturing facilities are GMP-certified, and our quality testing labs are among the best in the industry. The company has over 1,500 employees and its products are sold in more than 60 countries. The company remains family-owned and committed to its original mission: to provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives.
NOW offers a competitive compensation structure and a comprehensive benefit package which includes medical, dental and vision plans from tier one companies, Paid Time Off, 401k match up to $6,500 per year, educational assistance and company-paid disability and life insurance. NOW employees also enjoy a wide array of unique benefits such as company-paid profit sharing, quarterly bonuses, employee discount, wellness program, company-paid Teladoc and Rx’nGo, and much more! Many of our benefits are 100% paid by NOW – this is why NOW Foods has been awarded as one of the “101 Best & Brightest Companies to Work for” in Chicago NINE years in a row, and on the National Level THREE years in a row!
To learn more about NOW Foods, visit nowfoods.com, like us on Facebook at facebook.com/nowfoodsofficial, or follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/NOWFoods or on Instagram at instagram.com/nowfoodsofficial.
The Supplier Quality Supervisor is responsible for supporting the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of the supplier quality management systems at NHG. The supplier quality supervisor will provide supplier guidance and direction to ensure industry standard food safety systems are implemented and effective. In addition, the supplier quality supervisor will monitor and hold each supplier accountable to ensure compliance with all local, regional, and federal food safety regulatory requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Implement an effective supplier management program
- Communicating quality requirements to suppliers
- Supervises specification creation/revision for all raw materials and ensures all food safety requirements are incorporated into ingredient specifications
- Support the organization in properly qualifying suppliers. Closely partner with the R&D and the Procurement teams to develop an approval process and qualify new suppliers/facilities. Recommend actions relating to supplier qualification / de-qualification. Provide technical and quality knowledge for supplier selection, qualification, and approval. Support proper selection of purchased product and suppliers for new products and life-cycle management of current product.
- Assist in the development of processes and procedures to ensure that a risk-based supplier management program is followed
- Establish and monitor supplier performance to include metrics such as conformance to specifications, and responsiveness to corrective action requests and monitor, analyze, and drive improvement in supplier performance through supplier performance improvement plans. Perform supplier performance reviews as required. Monitor supplier non-conformance performance, drive root-cause analyses, corrective actions and process improvements to reduce the Number of Defects and Cost of Quality
- Support reporting of supplier performance scorecards and develop improvements to the system which empower suppliers to continuously improve their performance. Report supplier quality performance of the supply base to management.
- Partner with New Product Development Team to ensure products and processes consistently conform to NOW Health Group specifications, policies and procedures and other quality related regulatory requirements including international.
- Assist management with supplier nonconformance process. Drive for satisfactory corrective action and closure of complaint incidents
- Assist management in ensuring that the supplier audit program is implemented in compliance with existing procedure requirements including audit schedules and execution, supplier auditors qualifications, adequacy of audit reports, and on time closure of audit non conformances
- Assist management in maintaining and approving all supplier documentation such as specifications, HACCP Plans, Allergen Questionnaires, Third party audit reports and certificates of analysis, certificates of conformance, Kosher and non-GMO certificates and other supplier documents as required to support NHG manufacturing facilities.
- Managing quality improvement plans, leading high risk supply issues, and providing guidance to supplier quality group.
- Conduct training with suppliers in quality tools & techniques. Assist suppliers in developing improved product quality, process control improvement, and in problem-solving.
- Work effectively with quality, commercial, engineering and manufacturing teams to eliminate any barriers that may affect the quality and delivery of sourced components.
- Drive the implementation and approval of Quality Agreements between NOW Health Group and Suppliers with support of Purchasing, Legal and Quality Assurance departments.
- Ensure issues such as delays in audits, quality agreements, etc. are prioritized appropriately and resolved effectively
- Ensure that NHG supplier quality procedures, and specifications are revised and updated to ensure compliance with new regulations (i.e. FSMA) and NHG’s policy changes
- Under management direction, develop Supplier Expectation Manual(s) and ensure they are kept up-to-date and communicated to suppliers.
- Partner with R&D to assist in creating raw material specifications, and support for new ingredients for new products.
- Work closely with suppliers to assure all ingredients are from natural sources using non-GMO ingredients
- Maintain knowledge and communicate GFSI standard updates and FDA FSMA requirements and trends to suppliers and management.
SAFETY RESPONSIBILITY STATEMENT
- Supports a culture of safe production and operations; follows all workplace health and safety procedures.
- Responsible for safety performance in respective area.
- Ensures the implementation of, adherence to, and enforcement of workplace health and safety requirements.
- Ensures activities are completed to promote and enforce safe behaviors by supervisors and employees.
- Ensures injury prevention efforts are effectively implemented.
- Fulfills responsibilities as outlined in the company safety management plan.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) four-year college, advanced degree preferred, or university with major in a Science field (i.e. Chemistry, Biology); at least five years related experience in Quality Control or Quality Assurance in a GMP manufacturing facility; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of one years of experience in supervision of Quality Assurance or Quality Control staff and experience in internal and external auditing procedures.
- GMP compliance and enforcement is required.
- Certification such as CQM, CQE, CQA and/or Six Sigma Black or Green Belt preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Strong ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must have excellent time management, problem solving and written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of GMP’s and the ability to train all levels of personnel in a plant environment is essential.
- ust have proficiency with Word and Excel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate on the telephone and in person. The employee frequently is required to remain at a stationary desk location and to move about within the facility. The employee is occasionally required to handle and examine products for texture, taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Travel required 25 +%
It is the policy of NOW Foods to prohibit discrimination of any type, and to afford equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and prospective employees, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.