Founded by Elwood Richard in 1968, NOW Foods has grown from a small, family operation to a highly-respected manufacturer of natural health products. Today, NOW Foods manufactures and distributes over 1,400 dietary supplements, natural foods, sports nutrition, and personal care products. NOW’s state of the art manufacturing facilities are GMP-certified, and our quality testing labs are among the best in the industry. The company has over 1,500 employees and its products are sold in more than 60 countries. The company remains family-owned and committed to its original mission: to provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives.
NOW offers a competitive compensation structure and a comprehensive benefit package which includes medical, dental and vision plans from tier one companies, Paid Time Off, 401k match up to $6,500 per year, educational assistance and company-paid disability and life insurance. NOW employees also enjoy a wide array of unique benefits such as company-paid profit sharing, quarterly bonuses, employee discount, wellness program, company-paid Teladoc and Rx’nGo, and much more! Many of our benefits are 100% paid by NOW – this is why NOW Foods has been awarded as one of the “101 Best & Brightest Companies to Work for” in Chicago TWELVE years in a row, and on the National Level SIX years in a row! NOW Foods currently holds EDAWN's 2019 Employees First-Large Award, and has been recognized as a Finalist for the 2018 Best Places to Work in Northern Nevada!
To learn more about NOW Foods, visit nowfoods.com, like us on Facebook at facebook.com/nowfoodsofficial, or follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/NOWFoods or on Instagram at instagram.com/nowfoodsofficial.
Working the 1st shift (6:45 AM - 3:15 PM), the QC Physical & Micro Lead:
- Assists QC Management in performing investigations on customer complaints, deviations, inspection functions, and in the administration of the microbial and physical laboratory for the respective shift(s).
- Performs inspections for troubleshooting and training purposes.
- Works within the department and with operations and manufacturing support personnel to solve problems and deal with quality control issues as they occur, making recommendations for immediate corrective action when necessary to ensure optimum product quality.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Monitors and coordinates the status of processing and packaged materials to ensure materials are processed in a timely manner.
Coordinates and delegates laboratory testing by setting priorities based on the needs of operations.
Coordinates the activities of other microbiologists and technicians as assigned.
Conducts, investigates, and documents laboratory and in-process manufacturing failures.
Completes appropriate documentation and assigns disposition.
Recommends modifications of existing quality or production standards to achieve optimum quality within limits of equipment capability and characteristics of materials.
Logs in customer complaints to the micro and physical lab and assists with customer complaint investigations.
Recommends corrective actions.
- Operates the following types of equipment, including but not limited to - pH meter, autoclave, incubators, Soleris, FTIR, NIR, disintegration apparatus, moisture analyzer, automatic hardness tester, density tester, viscometer, refractometer, polarimeter, electronic balance, and particle sifter.
- Performs raw material evaluation on all incoming shipments and obtains representative lot samples.
- Conducts microbiological analyses, reads and interprets results.
- Tests materials as assigned by priority listing provided daily by QC management.
- Records and evaluates data and documentation for completeness.
- Independently sets up and tests products as written.
- Provides guidance and training to other technicians and inspectors, including training in operation of testing equipment.
- Assists and conducts method transfers and method verification.
- Assists in coordination of the workload in lab including stability and consumer complaint testing, and special projects.
- Completes necessary documentation and Oracle entries. Reviews documentation for completeness and compliance with GMPs and SOPs.
- Performs random in-process testing and/or inspections to verify operator’s results.
- Releases materials for use and reviews documentation for completeness.
- Works with supervisor and operations personnel in conducting investigations to resolve issues.
- Monitors and orders laboratory supplies.
- Monitors and troubleshoots equipment when necessary and PM schedules.
- Complies with safety and GMP requirements.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors of Science from an accredited four-year college with a minimum of three years laboratory experience.
- Strong computer and communication skills required.
- Familiarity with inspection processes, laboratory procedures, and related hands-on microbiology lab experience required.
- Must have knowledge in a packaging and processing environment.
- Dietary supplement industry experience preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as product specifications, departmental instructions, MSDS, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization both internal and external.
Ability to apply mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, averages, ratios, proportions, and the metric system to practical situations.
- Excellent problem solving skills required.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must possess strong organizational and leadership skills, be a self-starter and able to handle multiple tasks.
- Must possess professional attitude and be able to work well with peers and management.
- Competency in word processing and spreadsheet software required.
- Familiarity with the Oracle Applications Suite 11i/Oracle Process Management module desired.
SAFETY RESPONSIBILITY STATEMENT
- Supports a culture of safe production and operations; follows all safety rules and procedures.
- Actively participates in the safety program by:
- engaging in training activities to learn what constitutes a safety hazard;
- reporting safety concerns to the supervisor;
- submitting safety suggestions;
- correcting or reporting to the appropriate people when an employee sees a workplace health or safety hazard, until it is resolved.
- Assists with communicating safety information to new employees.
- Fulfills responsibilities as outlined in the company safety management plan.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to handle product in various stages and forms (i.e. raw materials, work in progress, and finished products in liquid, powdered, and tablet forms), in addition to equipment and/or tools. The employee frequently is required to use his/her sense of taste or smell and to ascend and/or descend stairs. The employee is occasionally required to move from place to place within the facility, to reach, balance, or stoop.
The employee must regularly lift, move (in some cases drag items), slide, raise and/or place:
5 lbs. from ground level and place at 61 high inch level; return to original position.
Up to 30 lb. force for up to 25 feet and then pull to original position.
Up to 33 lbs. from 5 inches off ground and raise to 47 inches and then return 33 lbs. to original position.
Up to 50 lbs. for 3 feet at waist level; lift bag/box onto side and return to original position.
Pallets weighing up to 55 lbs. from floor onto one side, move it up to 10 ft. and return to original position.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee may frequently be exposed to vapors and/or herbal aromas. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
It is the policy of NOW Foods to prohibit discrimination of any type, and to afford equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and prospective employees, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.