Founded by Elwood Richard in 1968, NOW Foods has grown from a small, family operation to a highly-respected manufacturer of natural health products. Today, NOW Foods manufactures and distributes over 1,400 dietary supplements, natural foods, sports nutrition, and personal care products. NOW’s state of the art manufacturing facilities are GMP-certified, and our quality testing labs are among the best in the industry. The company has over 1,500 employees and its products are sold in more than 60 countries. The company remains family-owned and committed to its original mission: to provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives.
NOW offers a competitive compensation structure and a comprehensive benefit package which includes medical, dental and vision plans from tier one companies, Paid Time Off, 401k match up to $6,500 per year, educational assistance and company-paid disability and life insurance. NOW employees also enjoy a wide array of unique benefits such as company-paid profit sharing, quarterly bonuses, employee discount, wellness program, company-paid Teladoc and Rx’nGo, and much more! Many of our benefits are 100% paid by NOW – this is why NOW Foods has been awarded as one of the “101 Best & Brightest Companies to Work for” in Chicago TWELVE years in a row, and on the National Level SIX years in a row! NOW Foods currently holds EDAWN's 2019 Employees First-Large Award, and has been recognized as a Finalist for the 2018 Best Places to Work in Northern Nevada!
To learn more about NOW Foods, visit nowfoods.com, like us on Facebook at facebook.com/nowfoodsofficial, or follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/NOWFoods or on Instagram at instagram.com/nowfoodsofficial.
Proactive, analytical, and highly motivated Engineer to assist with developing, designing, and implementing engineering projects. Provides mechanical and general engineering support to achieve safety, quality and efficiency goals. Manages entire scope of projects of a basic to intermediate scope, ensuring that all project timelines, budgets, safety and quality requirements are met.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Recommends equipment, new concepts, and techniques to improve performance (safety, quality, productivity), simplify construction, reduce cost, and/or comply with changes in codes/regulations.
- Develops thorough understanding of all equipment, identifies machine deficiencies and develops solutions.
- Supports and manages the transition from design into production, including any testing and training required for implementing new or changed designs.
- Analyzes issues/data using root cause analysis, identifies opportunities, and designs equipment, processes, and layouts to improve product quality, increase capacity, reduce safety risks, and delivery to best meet customer needs.
- Improves manufacturing processes by assisting with the design and modification of equipment and components.
- Plans, designs, and manages engineering solutions that meet all safety, quality, financial, cGMP and other regulatory requirements.
- Works with other departments to develop and/or update Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), process documentation and training materials to support new or modified processes and equipment. Assists with training employees in new and modified processes and equipment.
- Uses metrics, lean manufacturing and other continuous improvement methods to problem solve and identify inefficiencies and solutions within manufacturing and other operational areas.
- Prepares general arrangement, elevation and sectional drawings showing proposed new installations of equipment, ductwork, piping, etc.
- Designs fixtures, tooling, hoppers, or other job aids to improve manufacturing processes by seeking input from operations personnel. Prepares sketches/drawings for fabrication.
- Provides technical support for operations personnel to resolve technical problems.
Troubleshooting and Capital Projects:
- Leads, coordinates and manages basic to intermediate level engineering and capital improvement projects. Develops engineering project objectives; determines and assigns project responsibilities; and successfully executes project schedule by utilizing good project management methods/tools and resolving problems to deliver projects on time and within budget. Manages all project functions including designing, planning requirements with internal customers, managing project schedules, identifying risks, costs, and budgets.
- Monitors performance of equipment, machines and tools. Troubleshoots, investigates and resolves manufacturing design and process issues as they arise while driving towards root cause analysis in a cross-functional team environment.
- Applies knowledge of mechanical principles to determine equipment malfunctions and applies skills in restoring equipment to operation.
- Confers with vendors to determine product specifications and arranges for purchase of equipment, materials, or parts, and evaluates products according to specifications and quality standards. Prepares work orders when installation can be accomplished internally by internal resources.
- Ensures effective communication and coordination on projects between stakeholders and project participants.
- Ensures projects comply with all safety, GMP, and other relevant regulatory and internal company requirements.
SAFETY RESPONSIBILITY STATEMENT
- Supports a culture of safe production and operations; follows all safety rules and procedures.
- Actively participates in the safety program by engaging in training activities to learn what constitutes a safety hazard; reporting safety concerns to the supervisor; submitting safety suggestions; and correcting or reporting to the appropriate people when employee sees a workplace health or safety hazard, until it is resolved.
- Assists with communicating safety information to new employees.
- Fulfills responsibilities as outlined in the company safety management plan.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering (B.S.M.E.) or related discipline and zero to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficient in AutoCAD, Microsoft Word, and Excel. Experience in continuous improvement and GMP’s is desired.
- Safety Management - Considers the impact on safety when making decisions.
- Acts with Integrity – Demonstrates responsible, ethical and honest behavior and models NOW’s core values.
- Attention to Detail - Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
- Continuous Improvement - High level of adaptability and ability to improve business results through accountability and cost management.
- Communicates Proactively and Effectively – Ability to clearly convey ideas and concepts verbally and in writing. Keeps others informed and listens to input and feedback. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Customer-Driven – Servant minded leader in which excellent service is provided to all customers and sees business through the eyes of the customer.
- Decision Making and Planning - Ability to make sound decisions while working under moderate functional supervision and close supervision on new aspects of assignments.
- Flexibility – Ability to prioritize and to shift directions as business needs require. Maintains a positive attitude and high quality workload. Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including off shifts and weekends.
- Problem-Solving – Reacts quickly and appropriately to opportunities and problems and makes sound decisions. Follows up in a timely manner to issues not immediately resolved. Moderate problem solving and analytical ability to troubleshoot and resolve issues while driving towards root cause analysis.
- Project Management – Ability to develop project objectives and successfully execute project schedule by utilizing good project management methods/tools and resolving problems to deliver projects on time and within budget.
- Results Driven – Self-driven and motivated to accomplish objectives in a fast-paced environment. Displays a sense of urgency to meet all business objectives
- Team Player - Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, inside and outside the unit and to work effectively both independently and as a team player.
- Technical - Ability to critically review and interpret technical documentation.
- Time Management - Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, inside and outside the unit.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works at a desk and communicates to employees, vendors and contractors. The employee is frequently required to move from place to place within the facility and to travel to multiple facilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to herbal aromas, dust, and/or airborne particles.
It is the policy of NOW Foods to prohibit discrimination of any type, and to afford equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and prospective employees, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.