At ZOLL LifeVest, our vision is to revolutionize the prevention of sudden cardiac arrest, which claims more lives annually than breast cancer, lung cancer and HIV/AIDS combined in the United States. On any given day, tens of thousands of people are protected from sudden cardiac death by wearing the LifeVest.
Fueled by the success of the business, the ZOLL R&D team is growing rapidly. ZOLL’s ongoing investment in Research and Development aims to further increase the array of clinical products and applications in tandem with expanding the population of cardiac patients that may be helped by our products. Our Pittsburgh based R&D group is comprised of an exceptional team of talented, collaborative, and driven individuals focused on developing real world solutions through the creative and intelligent use of technology that helps to improve patient lives.
We are actively seeking technical contributors at all levels and across many disciplines (including enterprise/web and embedded software, electrical/hardware, mechanical/industrial, test, systems engineering, project/program management, human factors, systems analysis, and technical writing among others). You will be developing new and improved products and services, solving technically challenging problems, and working with an outstanding team of technical professionals who are dedicated to protecting patients from sudden cardiac death and saving lives.
The specific duties vary across roles. However, there are some common traits applicable to all:
- You need to be well grounded in your technical discipline, ideally through a mix of education and a demonstrated successful track record of performance.
- Your passion for your craft will be obvious. You need to be able to juggle multiple responsibilities at once in an exciting, invigorating environment of rapid growth.
- You must be able to achieve timely results under high standards of workmanship that are accountable to both regulatory agencies and ultimately our patients.
Here are some specific opportunities currently available at ZOLL LifeVest. We have multiple positions open at each level. If any of these positions sound like a fit for you, please send us a paragraph or two with specific examples explaining why along with your resume.
Lead Software Engineer responsible for the design, debug and support of software components and utilities used in the LifeVest system. Additional responsibilities include the supervision of junior engineers, development and maintenance of software documentation, software schedule development and providing technical support to other departments within the organization.
- Develops technical designs and specifications for products.
- Aids in making software architecture decisions.
- Researches and integrates design strategies, product specifications, development schedules and user expectations into product capabilities.
- Uses software development technologies and tools to build, test and maintain product modules, components and subsystems.
- Manages engineering function of complex projects. Provides technical advice to lower level employees, acting in a lead capacity.
- Aids in the coordination of outside resources.
- Scopes out work, resources and time required to complete projects. Identifies and recommends efficiency improvements and schedule risk mitigations.
- Works under general direction with an expectation of minimal error rates.
- Conducts root cause failure analysis on devices.
- Conducts design studies for future generation products.
- Supports engineering and other departments on sustaining activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Management.
Project management responsibilities regarding technical aspects:
- Architect software designs
- Establish and update all architecture documents as changes occur
- Scope out work, resources and time required to complete a project
- Act as technical point of contact with program/project managers
- Give real-time feedback of any identified risks to the schedule and recommend mitigations
- Oversee all technical aspects of assigned project(s)
- Act as technical point of contact for other departments
- Continually optimize team performance
- Assess current tasks are still valid
- Assess if resources assigned to task are optimal
- Keep cross functionality of team members
- Oversee compliance of the team to regulatory standards and guidance documents
- Oversee overall quality of development efforts
- Software development
- Engineering test coverage development as it pertains to the project
- Manufacturing engineering development as it pertains to the project
- Team feedback to management
- Provide initial write-ups for team members yearly reviews
- Perform initial review of team members yearly objectives
- Provide input during future staffing planning
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Educations and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer or electrical engineering or equivalent.
- 10+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experienced (5+ years) with C and or C++ , 5+ years preferred for C++
- Experienced at leading a small team of engineers (3-4)
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer engineering
- Project management
- Systems engineering
- Medical device
- Handheld or wearable devices
- Experience with embedded systems in some or all of the following
- In-circuit emulators in embedded systems.
- Good understanding of microprocessor hardware architectures (preferably ARM).
- Embedded user interface design
- Embedded Linux development
- Software quality
- Unit testing and test automation
- IEC medical software standards or other software quality standards
- Static, dynamic code and code coverage during testing analysis
- Good code style practice
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents of advanced technical complexity. Ability to write reports and research findings of a technical nature. Ability to speak and present effectively one-on-one as well as in small and large groups of professionals including customers, clients and collaborators, both inside and outside the organization.
Mathematical Skills: Basic mathematical skills required, including the understanding and ability to apply basic statistical and arithmetic principles, work with tabular data, and create and interpret graphs.
Reasoning Ability: Advanced reasoning skills required. Must have the ability to solve complex problems and weigh possible solutions to determine rank options to deliver optimal outcomes. Ability to assess problems involving several variables in changing situations.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Equal Opportunity Employer–minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.