ProQuest connects people with vetted, reliable information. As a leading technology provider, ProQuest drives better outcomes for researchers and greater efficiency for the libraries and organizations that serve them. Our cloud-based solutions are a gateway to the world’s knowledge and enable researchers, students, and librarians to discover, access, share, create, and manage information. Explore working at ProQuest!
Ex Libris, a ProQuest company, is a leading provider of library automation solutions, offering the only comprehensive product suite for the discovery, management, and distribution of all materials—print, electronic, and digital. Dedicated to developing the market’s most inventive and creative solutions, Ex Libris leads the way in defining and designing efficient, user-friendly products that serve the needs of academic, research, and national libraries today, enabling them to transition into the future.
As the Sr. Systems Administrator, you will support a global, high-availability infrastructure comprised of nearly 100% virtualized unix/linux servers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures the availability and efficiency of the Unix/Linux infrastructure.
- Possesses the ability to work under pressure and during “offhours” to resolve technical problems which result in system downtime or degraded service. Supports and enhances the virtualization and converged infrastructures supporting ProQuest’s online systems including VMware vSphere 4/5 and Cisco UCS.
- Monitors systems to ensure that automated and manual activities complete successfully, performs planned and unplanned changes in the production environment, and provides support for after-hours maintenance activities in the production environment.
- Leads or works as a technical member of project teams to recommend the proper course of action for the proactive fulfillment of ProQuest’s current and future business system needs.
- Develops standards, architectures, and procedures to support the utilization of on-premise and Cloud infrastructure services to augment ProQuest’s capabilities.
- Proactively develops automated procedures for the ongoing support of systems including any training and support necessary to turn these procedures over to junior staff for ongoing fulfillment.
- Manages the relationship between vendor technical support tiers and ProQuest.
- Works with vendors and other IT groups to resolve issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related field plus 6 or more years of experience in a technical role, or an equivalent combination of skills and experience.
- 4 or more years’ experience supporting Unix/Linux Systems (CentOS, RedHat Linux).
- 4 or more years’ experience in environments with hundreds of server instances and multiple terabytes of disk space.
- 4 or more years’ experience supporting and managing changes in a 24x7 online production environment
- 2 or more years’ experience developing infrastructure automation tools and processes.
- 2 or more years’ experience with Puppet, Chef, or other configuration management and deployment tools.
- Demonstrated knowledge of all of the following: Virtualization, Public Cloud, TCP/IP, NFS, SAN Storage, troubleshooting multi-tiered client server systems (preferably centric around VMware, HP Proliant and Cisco UCS servers).
- Programming and Shell scripting skills: (Some or all) Python, Ruby, PERL, ksh, bash, csh, C/C++
- Working knowledge of ITIL procedures, and infrastructure monitoring tools.
- Familiarity with the components that comprise an online service infrastructure including Unix/Linux and Windows servers, network switches, routers, data circuits and applications.
- Excellent problem solving and fault-diagnosis skills, especially for large complex systems.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment generating trust and building alliances with coworkers.
- Ability to managing multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and ability to work effectively across department boundaries.
- Ability to demonstrate high integrity and excellent judgment.
- Ability to assess risk and make timely decisions.
- 2 or more years of Storage Management experience (one of: SAN, NAS, EMC Symmetrix, EMC VMAX
- EMC Clariion; EMC VNX, OS Volume Managers and file systems).
- Professional certification with RedHat, VMware, EMC, Cisco, and/or Amazon Web Services
- Continues to increase expertise by staying current with industry trends through review of technical journals and ongoing education.
- Experience architecting and supporting applications on public cloud providers such as Amazon AWS.
Other important information about this position:
- This position will be based in our Chicago or Seattle office; the Boston location may be considered for internal candidates only
- Occasional travel may be required.
- This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
- 24x7 on-call rotation is required with the position for emergency and urgent operational issues.
- Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
Featured Careers Category: Technology