ProQuest connects people with vetted, reliable information. As a leading technology provider, ProQuest drives better outcomes for researchers and greater efficiency for the libraries and organizations that serve them. Our cloud-based solutions are a gateway to the world’s knowledge and enable researchers, students, and librarians to discover, access, share, create, and manage information. Explore working at ProQuest!
Ex Libris, a ProQuest company, is a leading provider of library automation solutions, offering the only comprehensive product suite for the discovery, management, and distribution of all materials—print, electronic, and digital. Dedicated to developing the market’s most inventive and creative solutions, Ex Libris leads the way in defining and designing efficient, user-friendly products that serve the needs of academic, research, and national libraries today, enabling them to transition into the future.
The Jr. Systems Administrator provides onsite and oncall support to customer facing and internal employee systems in a complex operating environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures the availability and efficiency of ProQuest’s Unix/Linux infrastructure.
- Possesses the ability to work under pressure and during “off hours” to resolve technical problems which result in system downtime or degraded service. Supports and enhances the virtualization and converged infrastructures supporting ProQuest’s online systems.
- Monitors systems to ensure that automated and manual activities complete successfully, perform planned and unplanned changes in the production environment, provide support for after-hours maintenance activities in the production environment. Works as a technical member of project teams which will recommend the proper course of action for the proactive fulfillment of ProQuest’s current and future business system’s needs.
- Works as a technical member of project teams to recommend the proper course of action for the proactive fulfillment of ProQuest’s current and future business system needs.
- Proactively develops automated procedures for the ongoing support of systems
- Works with vendors and other IT groups to resolve issues.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications, Management Information Systems or related field plus 1 or more years of experience in a technical role, or an equivalent combination of skills and experience
- 1 or more years’ experience supporting Unix/Linux Systems (CentOS, RedHat Linux).
- 1 or more years’ experience in environments with a customer facing production environment.
- 1 or more years’ experience supporting and managing changes in a 24x7 online production environment.
- Some experience developing infrastructure automation tools and processes.
- Some experience with Puppet, Chef, or other configuration management and deployment tools.
- Demonstrated knowledge of all of the following: Virtualization, TCP/IP, NFS, SAN Storage, troubleshooting multitier client server systems.
- Programming and Shell scripting skills: (Some or all) Python, Ruby, PERL, ksh, bash, csh, C/C++
- Familiarity with the components that comprise an online service infrastructure including Unix/Linux and Windows servers, network switches, routers, data circuits and applications.
- Excellent problem solving and fault-diagnosis skills, especially for large complex systems.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment generating trust and building alliances with coworkers.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize many simultaneous projects and interrupt driven activity simultaneously.
- Ability to work well under critical time constraints and pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to work effectively across department boundaries.
- Ability to demonstrate high integrity and excellent judgment.
- Ability to assess risk and make timely decisions.
- Some Storage Management experience (SAN / NAS)
- Professional certification with RedHat, VMware, EMC, Cisco, and/or Amazon Web Services
- Continues to increase expertise by staying current with industry trends through review of technical journals and ongoing education.
What you will want to know about this job:
- This position is based in the Des Plaines office location.
- Occasional travel is required.
- This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
- 24x7 on-call rotation is required with the position for emergency and urgent operational issues.
- Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
Featured Careers Category: Technology