The Ex Libris Group, a ProQuest company, is a leading provider of library automation solutions, offering the only comprehensive product suite for the discovery, management, and distribution of all materials—print, electronic, and digital. Dedicated to developing the market’s most inventive and creative solutions, Ex Libris leads the way in defining and designing efficient, user-friendly products that serve the needs of academic, research, and national libraries today, enabling them to transition into the future.
The Network Engineer will support the global infrastructure for Ex Libris, which includes the upkeep of existing equipment (e.g. software updates on switches), resolving operational issues, identifying opportunity to optimize performance and load balancing, monitoring network performance, router/switches firewall rules, and new builds (we are currently building a new datacenter on the West Coast). These efforts will support a Private Cloud designed by the Ex Libris Group in support of the information solutions deployed in the field.
Some of what you'll be doing...
- Installs, configures and maintains multiple network infrastructures in colocation facilities.
- Implements and operates large scale datacenter LANs, WANs and MANs, utilizing a variety of technical equipment including routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers and other network devices.
- Monitors and tests network performance, while managing network capacity, providing network performance statistics and reports and managing network system backups.
- Performs installation, configuration, maintenance and troubleshooting of network hardware, software and peripheral devices.
- Maintains lab environments to test and evaluate configurations and new technologies.
- Performs regular network audits, identifying vulnerabilities, threats and performance issues.
- Provides support and input in other Cloud disciplines including storage and systems support, as well as network build/design support.
Qualified candidates should have...
- Bachelors’ degree or higher in related field, such as Computer Science, plus at least 4 years’ related experience in Network Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)/Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) certification.
- Experience with Cisco Nexus Switches, Juniper Alto firewall, A10 / F5 balancers.
- Experience with logical design models and network protocols.
- Experience with Cisco IOS, Cisco NX-OS and IOS-XE software and configuration required.
- Experience in deploying networking monitoring & alerting tools – eg. Nagios.
- Experience in deploying networking graphing and trending tools – eg. Cacti, PRTG.
- Experience in the management of Network Security issues – identifying and mitigating spam, viruses and other network threats.
- Experience with network cabling and physical layer / logical network infrastructure.
- Experience conducting research in networking issues / products and performing proof of concept testing.
- Proven deep understanding of TCP/IP, Subnetting, DNS, DHCP, NAT, VRRP, Routing, etc. and related networking protocols and technologies (CoS, PoE, NTP, CDP, TFTP, SNMP, SYSLOG etc.) and security-related protocols (SSH, HTTPS, AAA, IPSec, etc.).
- Strong knowledge of Layer 2 network protocols (STP, VLANs, Ethernet, etc.).
- Strong knowledge of Layer 3 IP routing (IP sub netting/addressing, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP).
- Understand LAN/WAN and transport technologies.
- Knowledge of how other IT systems (applications, SaaS products, end user devices, servers) interact with the network.
- Working technical knowledge of network control and management protocols and technologies (CoS, PoE, NTP, DHCP, CDP, TFTP, SNMP, SYSLOG etc.) and security-related protocols (SSH, HTTPS, AAA, IPSec, etc.).
- Capacity to learn and master new technology and knowledge with an attention to detail.
- Excellent researching and problem solving skills, including the ability to analyze, compare, evaluate, reconcile and order data.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to professionally interact with a diverse blend of personalities to reach resolution and maintain strong relationships.
It would be awesome if you also had...
- File Level/Block Level Protocols knowledge (NFS, iSCSI).
- Linux, Storage, Virtualization concepts knowledge and experience.
- UCS knowledge.
- Proven scripting abilities in one or more language – Perl, Shell or Python.
- Bring new, innovative ideas and concepts.
- Ability to create detailed Network diagrams with MS Visio.
The fine print...
- This position is based in the ProQuest Des Plaines, IL office location.
- Occasional travel is required (around 15% to the datacenters)
- This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
Featured Careers Category: Technology